Saturday, August 30, 2008

Where to cash in scrap

I can only speak with any authority about places I've personally gone to to cash in scrap I've collected.

I started this when I went to Baltimore to take care of my father, who was dying of cancer.

I've have a CDL license for 25 years and drove a Roll Off Truck in 2001, this is the kind of truck that looks like a dump truck, but the bed (dumpster) is rolled off the truck when empty and hoisted back on the truck when full.

In 2001 China was buying up all the scrap it could find- the Yangtze river had frozen over, preventing their river barges from delivering iron ore from the mines to the steel plants... remember China is one of the world's fastest growing capitalist (sorta) economies, and one out of every 4 human beings IS a Chinese!

In Baltimore I took scrap metal to:

  • Cambridge Iron & Metal
    Cambridge Iron & Metal Co, Inc
    901 South Kresson Street
    Baltimore, Maryland 21224
    (410) 327-7867
    (800) 245-IRON
    http://www.cambridgeiron.com/


  • Baltimore Scrap
    3100 Weedon Ave
    Baltimore, MD 21226
    (410) 355-4455
    http://www.baltimorescrap.com/


  • I used to get FREE aluminum out of dumpsters (with permission) from:

  • Renewal by Andersen Windows
    8250 Preston Ct
    Jessup, MD 20794
    (866) 612-4984


  • Next Day Blinds Factory
    also on Preston Ct
    Jessup MD
    I'm not going to list their phone #
    because they no longer want people
    jumping in their dumpster...

    There were actually fights breaking
    out, scrapers fist fighting each other
    right there in the parking lot:
    this is headache the insurance people
    don't want!


  • I took aluminum to:

  • Decker Brothers Recycling
    9385 Washington Blvd N
    Laurel, MD 20723
    Local: 301-497-0391


  • Now that I live in Frederick Maryland I take aluminum to:

  • Reliable Recycling
    502 N East St
    Frederick, MD 21701
    (301) 663-4482
    http://www.reliablerecyclingcenter.com/


  • The people that run Reliable are good people... I can't say enough good things about them.

    Rule of Thumb:

    If you go everyday to these recycling places...
    and you don't try to cheat them, or claim that what's in your truck is good stuff when it's actually
    the lower paying material...

    It's my experience that they'll give you the benefit of the doubt, you'll get paid top dollar.

    Again, the only thing I can speak to is my own personal experience.

    No comments: